Some of the statistics divulged by Google last week surrounding the release of Instant Search really helped to put the system into context. Usage reports and stats can be equally mind numbing as they can be shocking and exciting so I set off to find a barrel load of usage statistics that would really slam home the importance and size of the behemoth that is, Facebook!
Enjoy and please comment with your reactions and thoughts.
- Facebook went live on February 4th 2004.
- Facebook was originally named Facemash but was quickly shut down due to privacy concerns.
- In only 10 months from its birth, a further million people had joined the site. A year later in December 2006, a total of 4.5 million people were registered members.
- The first person to invest in Facebook was Peter Thiel (co-founder of PayPal), who invested $500,000.
- Facebook is worth a reported £33 billion.
- CEO Mark Zuckerburg owns 26% of the stock making him a billionaire three times over.
- The first person to invest in Facebook was the cofounder of PayPal, Peter Thiel, who invested $500,000 in June 2004.
- Over 500 million active (users who have returned to the site in the last 30 days).
- Facebook employs over 1,700 people.
- Facebook has offices in Palo Alto, Atlanta, Birmingham (USA), Michigan, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, New York, Venice Beach, Washington DC, Austin, Dublin, London, Milan, Paris, Stockholm, Sydney and Toronto.
- Facebook users spend over 700,000,000,000 minutes on the site every month.
- There are over 900,000,000 objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages).
- The average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events and creates on average 90 pieces of content each month.
- More than 150 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month.
- People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
- 3 billion photos are uploaded every single month. That is quite literally millions every minute.
- Social networking use among Internet users aged 50 and over has nearly doubled from 22% to 42% over the last year.
- 47% of Internet users aged 50-64 now use social networking sites. One-in-four people over the age of 65 also use them. Almost 9/10 (86%) 18-29 year olds are using social networking site.
- Facebook occupies nearly 35% of all Internet traffic.
- 7% of business Internet traffic is now Facebook.
- Texas Hold’em Poker is the most popular fan page with almost 24 million fans!
- Michael Jackson's Facebook Fan Page gained over 1 million new fans in 3 days after news of his death.
- In Australia it is valid protocol to serve court notices to defendants on Facebook. A summons posted on Facebook is legally binding.
Through my research I’ve tried to use the most up-to-date, solid and trustworthy sources of verifiable information available but due to the pace of the web, you may need to look at them with a smidgen of cynicism doubt :) Below is a list of sources I used: (in no particular order): Facebook.com, PEW, insidefacebook.com, facebakers.com, theage, Nielsen, IWS.com, AdMob, BBC, Guardian, SearchEngineWatch, Wikipedia, ComScore